A WORD TO YOUNG MINISTRIES (3)
The first two blogs in this series, have been as much warnings to young ministry, to set boundaries in their personal and ministry life so that they will not put themselves in a place of temptation and thus fail the Lord. Paul tells young Timothy you be watchful in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry 2 Timothy 4:5 NKJV The Passion translation says So be alert to all these things and overcome every form of evil. Carry in your heart the passion of your calling as a church planter and evangelist, and fulfill your ministry calling.
The word watch or watchful is a military term, and if you have done any military service, you most probably was put on watch to guard a property or people, let us remember we are in a war, and cannot relax for a moment, I do trust you are convinced of this in your ministry. Here are some other things we need to watch.
- We need to watch WE ARE WALKING IN GOD’S WILL, that is why continuous surrender is essential, as you declare, “I will go where you want me to go, I will say what you want me to say, I will be what you want me to be”. Amos asks the question Can two walk together, unless they are agreed? Amos 3:3 NKJV The MESSAGE expresses it this way, Do two people walk hand in hand, if they aren’t going to the same place? Let us never insist on doing our own thing, Someone has said “There is no real blessing until you stop struggling”. We can only be a blessing when we yield to the will of God.
- I am going to repeat (from the last blog) how important it is to WATCH OUR WORDS, King David again using the military thought says in Psalm 143:3 NKJV Set a guard, O Lord, over my mouth; Keep watch over my lips. The wisest man in all the world said in Proverbs 18:21 NKJV Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat its fruit. Then in the New Testament in James 3:6 NKJV And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity. The tongue is so set among our members that it defiles the whole body, and sets on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire by hell.
Words can so easily discourage, depress, destroy, be critical, cynical, and deeply wound, but kind words, Glorify God, and bring blessing, confidence and healing. A favourite verse of mine is Hebrews 3:13NIV But encourage one another daily, It is interesting the writer says DAILY. In my role as Dean of Men I made it my practice to speak encouraging words to my students, and I could write a book on the impact those words had at times in their lives.
- Watch your WORK, why do we do what we do ??? Who are we working for ??? Paul says our work and its results can be wood hay and stubble Paul tells us in 1 Cor. 3 11-15 NKJV For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ. If any man builds on this foundation using gold, silver, costly stones, wood, hay or straw, his work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each man’s work. If what he has built survives, he will receive his reward. If it is burned up, he will suffer loss; he himself will be saved I must quote the MESSAGE it is excellent Remember, there is only one foundation, the one already laid: Jesus Christ. Take particular care in picking out your building materials. Eventually there is going to be an inspection. If you use cheap or inferior materials, you’ll be found out. The inspection will be thorough and rigorous. You won’t get by with a thing. If your work passes inspection, fine; if it doesn’t, your part of the building will be torn out and started over. But you won’t be torn out; you’ll survive (but only just).
- W need to watch our WALK Paul says in Colossians 2:6 NKJV As you therefore have received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in Him. The PASSION TRANSLATION says That In the same way you received Jesus our Lord and Messiah by faith, continue your journey of faith, progressing further into your union with him! We don’t have to be reminded that our walk with God is so important, like children God’s people often copy us, because WHAT WE ARE SPEAKS LOUDER THAN WHAT WE SAY.
- I will now simply list a number of other areas we need to watch we walk well, may it bless you, you could make it a series of sermons.
We are to WALK IN LOVE Eph. 5:2
We are to WALK IN THE LIGHT 1 John 1:7
We are to WALK IN THE SPIRIT Rom.8:1
We are to WALK IN TRUTH 3 John 4
We are to WALK IN WISDOM Col. 4:5
We are to WALK IN NEWNESS OF LIFE Rom. 6:4
We are to WALK BY FAITH 2 Cor. 5:7
I do trust this series has been a blessing to you, thank you for your comments, please keep them coming. May you have a fantastic week in the Lord and in your walk with Him.