WHAT DO YOU KNOW?
This was quite a common greeting in days gone by many people they would say something like this, “Hi John what do you know” I guess basically asking how are you, but I want to ask you this question today WHAT DO YOU KNOW?
I happened to say yesterday in my sermon which included my testimony of becoming a Christian as a 10 year old. I knew nothing about Salvation, except that I was a sinner and needed forgiveness. The reality is that over time you start to understand more about salvation for example. To me this reinforces the essential need of Discipleship and Mentoring. The reality is without Discipleship there can be years of ignorance and consequently defeat and disappointment and actual backsliding. Despite my Theological College training, because of the lack of Discipleship for many years as an active Minister of the Gospel there was so much I was ignorant of. I knew I was born again, (there has never been a doubt that) but there were years of inconsistency because I didn’t realise all that Christ had purchased for me and made available to me through His work on the Cross.
I have begun re-reading the Book of Colossians this morning, I was drawn to Paul’s prayer in chapter one verses 9-14.
Paul prays in verse 9 that we be filled with the KNOWLEDGE of God’s will (for our lives) and that with that knowledge would come WISDOM (that produces) SPIRITUAL UNDERSTANDING.
So many Believers lack the knowledge and consequently do not receive the wisdom and spiritual understanding that comes from that knowledge.
IF WE HAVE THAT KNOWLEDGE
“We can walk worthy of the Lord, FULLY PLEASING HIM, which causes us to be FRUITFUL IN EVERY GOOD WORK, and this causes us to INCREASE IN THE KNOWLEDGE OF GOD.Verse 10.
Because of our increased knowledge and our appropriating (and taking what is rightlfully ours)we are STRENGTHENED (within) according to His glorious power that dwells in us, there may be testing and trials but God gives us PATIENCE AND LONGSUFFERING WITH JOY.
It was especially verse 12 that really spoke to me today.
GIVING THANKS TO THE FATHER WHO HAS QUALIFIED US TO BE PARTAKERS OF THE INHERITANCE OF THE SAINTS IN LIGHT. NKJV.
Sadly, for many years I was personally ignorant of this INHERITANCE OF THE SAINTS and I have many regrets. The KJV translates the word qualified as MEET which really does not communicate much to us. I checked the dictionary for the definition and really liked this.
TO BE PROVIDED WITH THE PROPER AND NECESSARY SKILLS, THE KNOWLEDGE AND CREDENTIALS TO COMPENTENTLY QUALIFY.
A new believer needs to be told (by a Discipler) just what his inheritance is in Christ and then be assisted to apply that inheritance in his daily life. I am overwhelmed at what is in our inheritance, so many think that heaven is the big inheritance, but when Christ died (and we died with Him (Romans 6) we can read the will NOW and start partaking of our inheritance. Let me list for you some of what is in the will with YOUR NAME ON IT.
1. God has given us all things that pertain to life and godliness 2 Peter 1:3
2. We are now partakers of the Divine nature (His DNA) 2 Peter 1:4
3. We have the power nad anointing of the Holy Spirit Acts 1:8, 1 John 2:27
4. We have forgiveness of sins and freedom from guilt 1 John 1:9
5. Love joy peace and righteousness in the Holy Spirit Romans 14:17
6. Victory and freedom from the bondage of sin Romans 8:11
7. Continuous access into the presence of God Romans 5:1
8. An abundance of grace for every good work 2 Cor. 9:8
9. An understanding of the mystery of God’s will Eph.1;9
10. Divine guidance Romans 8:14
11. We are co-labourers with God 1 Cor. 3:9
12. We are joint heirs with Christ Rom. 8:17
13. A complete set of armour to protect us Eph. 6 10-18
14. We are complete in Him Col. 2:10
15. I am holy and without blame before Him in love. Eph.1:4
16. I have the peace of God which passes understanding Phil.4:7
17. I can do all things through Christ Jesus Phil. 4:13
18. I am more than a conqueror through Him who loves me Rom.8:37
19. I am a chosen generation, a royal priesthood. A holy nation 1 Peter 2:9
20. I am the righteousness of God in Christ 2 Cor.5:21
21. I am the head nad not the tail I am above and not beneath Deut. 28:13
22. I am the light of the world, Matt 5:14
23. I am elect His elect Rom. 8.33
24. I am strengthened with all might according to his holy power Col.1:11
And the list goes on and on and on (all with my name on it). I have no excuse, (and neither do you) we can live holy. Victorious pure fruitful lives for Jesus. We can’t change the past, but from today, let us be “Partakes of our inheritance”.
Mediate on each of these truths in your inheritance, let it drop 18 inches into your heart, it will become revelation and change your life forever.
WHAT DO YOU KNOW?