DO YOU HAVE A STRUCTURED DAILY QUIET TIME?
It is Saturday morning here, and we are back into complete lockdown again because of the U.K. variant of the Covid-19 virus has now come to our shores.. So no, church service tomorrow, so an opportunity to rest and watch a service on line.
I have written previously that I believe the pandemic is a wake-up call to the Church, to REPENT, and to seek to to “BUILD THE CHURCH AND EVERY BEIEVER “ACCORDING TO THE PATTERN OF THE WORD OF GOD”.
Of course, there are many aspects to the “pattern” and I want to highlight PRAYER again today, Biblically, a New Believer should have a Disciple-Maker walk with him (for as long as it takes) until prayer is a lifestyle. I am convinced teaching about prayer “once” in a Discipleship Class is NOT SUFFICIENT, as we need every assistance until prayer becomes a lifestyle practice
I was never Discipled, and consistent prayer was something I failed at over and over again. As a young man, there came a God given “burden” to Disciple, and it took many years for me to truly understand what this means Biblically, and also to make it my personal lifestyle to develop a daily constant intimate relationship with God in prayer.
I have come to see that because of the lack of Discipling, personal prayer can be very hit and miss for many Believers, plus often there are ESSENTIAL INGREDIENTS missing so this also limits the effectiveness of personal prayer.
What I am writing today, I have written many times before, but again it is “TELL ME THE STORY OFTEN FOR I FORGET SO SOON“. I am sure not suggesting what has become my practice and what I seek to teach is the only way, it is not a formula but you will quickly see a progression which I believe lines up with the Word of God, some people use other words but I believe all the essentials are covered in these EIGHT ESSENTIALS TO DAILY PRAYER
- Confession & Repentance 1John 1:9 NKJV If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
- Re-affirming Christ’s Lordship Rom. 12:1 NKJV I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service.
- Thanksgiving Psalm 100:4 NKJV Enter into His gates with thanksgiving,
- Praise Psalm 100:4 NKJV And into His courts with praise.
- Worship Psalm 29:2 NKJV Worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness.
- Intercession (Praying for others) 1 Tim.2:1 NKJV I exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men,
- Petition (Praying for yourself) 1 John 5:15 NKJV And if we know that He hears us, whatever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we have asked of Him.
- Listening Isaiah 30:21 N.K.J.V Have a Bible reading plan, (read various translations) as the Holy Spirit to “turn the light on” Your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying, “This is the way walk in it”.
Can you see the PROGRESSION? We must clear the decks of any unconfessed sin, we then re-affirm Jesus is the Lord of our life, then be Thankful and Praise, and then Worship the Lord, telling the Lord how much we love and adore Him. Then put the spotlight on OTHERS, only then on YOURSELF, then let the Lord speak to you from His Word, and to learn to hear the “still small voice of the Spirit” remember that if you feel God speaks to you, personally, it MUST ALWAYS live up with the written Word of God.
I trust this will help you, you may need to write out a list of the 8 ESSENTIAL INGREDIENTS TO DAILY PRAYER, (and keep it near you) plus order your daily life to set apart quality to to pray, and BE PREPARED to see this time increase, as you keep falling in love with Jesus more and more,
THE EIGHT ESSENTIAL INGREDIENTS TO DAILY PRAYER
1-5 Is all about you and the LORD JESUS FIRST
6 is about OTHERS
7. Is all about you YOURSELF LAST
8. Is learning to HEAR God speak to us, through the Word and the “still small voice of the Holy Spirit”.
Relative to 1, Psalm 66:18 tells us that if we have sin in our hear God is not listening, so we need to clear the decks of any unconfessed sin.
Relative to 2, We must continually affirm and surrender to the Lordship of Christ.
Relative to 3, It is good to sit down and count all our blessings for His continued goodness to us.
Relative to 4, When we contemplate His goodness, we cannot help but praise the Lord.
Relative to 5, Because of 3&4 we want to tell the Lord we love and adore Him.
Relative to 6, Make a list of people and situations in and beyond your world to pray for.
Relative to 7 ( sadly for so many this is no.1 !!) now bring your personal needs and petitions to the Lord.
Relative to 8, I recommend not to open our Bibles until we have prepared our hearts, through 1-7, and there will be no hindrance as we unhurriedly, READ & MEDITATE in the Word of God, learning to chew over and letting the written Word (Logos) become a personal living Word to us (Rhema) which becomes the Sword of the Spirit Eph. 6>17 NKJV The sword that the Spirit, which is the (Rhema) Word of God.
OTHERS IN BETWEEN